Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Could you tell me some of the key elements of different denominations?

Ask The Pastor: How it got started
E-mail your questions
Master List of Articles
Tour Israel with us – Spring 2006!


Hi,

I was looking through the yellow pages for a Christian church and found a lot of different kinds.

Could you tell me what is Calvary, Seventh Day
Adventist, Aventist, Evangelistic, Chrismatic, Apostolic, and Antioch
Churches? What are the key elements for each or what distinquishs them from each other?

Are there any websites you can recommend for me to find out more? This would help a lot.

Thank you,

Internet Rainbow (e-mail handle)


ATP: Internet Rainbow, rather than my trying to explain these differing denominations, why don't we start with a couple of links I found that would be helpful.

Hartford Institute for Religion Research
The Religious Movements Page - U. of Virginia
Chaplain Care U.S. Navy

I found these this morning when I did a search on Google for "church
denomination descriptions." I'm not vouching for the accuracy of the articles in the sites U. of V. site that describe differing denominations, just pointing you toward it as a place to gather information.

The links that take you to the home pages of specific denominations will be your best bet to get the information "from the horses mouth."

The Hartford Institute for Religion Research link has the most links on it and that is the one that will get you to the most home pages of denominations.

When you go to the home page of whichever denominations you want to check out, they should have an "about us" section, or a "our distinctives" section or a "what we believe" page.

After you have checked out the ones you want to look at if you still have questions, give me a shout and I'll do the best I can to answer your questions.

Thanks for the question! It led me to do a search to find the links noted above. I've saved the links in my favorites list for future reference. Those sites are going to come in handy!

Gordon

No comments: